What's the difference between the manufacturer's warranty and my SquareTrade plan?What is a manufacturer’s warranty?
- Most items purchased new come with a manufacturer’s warranty
- This covers defects due to parts or workmanship (mechanical/electrical failures)
- Coverage lasts generally up to one year from the date of purchase.
How does SquareTrade work with the manufacturer’s warranty?
- SquareTrade sells extended protection plans which means SquareTrade’s coverage begins after the manufacturer warranty expires.
- The manufacturer rather than SquareTrade is responsible for fixing normal mechanical/electronic failures
- However, if you bought a plan with Accident Protection, SquareTrade covers issues caused by accidents from the day you purchased.
To further understand when coverage starts for different plans, please visit our new plan holders page.
My broken item is still covered by the manufacturer. What should I do?
I filed a claim with SquareTrade and was referred to the manufacturer. What happens next?